Select from Images Below

History Shared

More gems out of the generously donated negatives from Perry Mayo. The late-50s through early 60s collection capture some of the most active periods of infrastructure change in Chattanooga's history since the Civil War.

Georgia Ave. at 4th

You may not recognize the intersection of Georgia Ave. and East 4th Street. Today it is several lanes wider, and is the southern side of the Veterans Bridge.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

4th and Walnut St.

A city traffic engineer looks a bit impatient for the photo to be taken. This is identified as 4th and Walnut; just two blocks west of the other photo. Deteriorating turn of the century homes have long since been replaced by wider roadways and parking lots.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

Saying goodbye to Cameron...

A young man gazes west from the Provident Insurance building where a view of the Westside Redevelopment Plan begins to make it's mark on Cameron Hill; seen here almost stripped of structures.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

McCallie Ave.

A late '50s view down McCallie Ave.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

What's a computer?

This IBM office was at 801 McCallie Ave. The computer is a rather famous IBM 1401. It had no keyboard or display and was fed data via punch cards. The 1401 was one of the first computers to run completely on transistors—not vacuum tubes—and that made it smaller and more durable. It rented for $2,500 per month, and was touted as the first 'affordable' general-purpose computer.

By 1965, half of all computers in the world were of the 1401 family.

READ MORE

801 McCallie Ave.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

The IBM 1401

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

Market @ Main

A view north on Market Street at Main Street reflects it's heyday of commerce. Terminal Station can be seen to the right.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

Counterweight Advertising

The Market Street Bridge (aka John Ross Bridge); featured advertising on its concrete counterweights for many years. A prominent advertiser was the Electric Power Board.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

Out with the old schools...

Two schools fall to the wrecking ball. Howard High School building located at 10th at Carter Street was dedicated August 23rd, 1920 and touted as one of the most up-to-date school plants in Chattanooga. This was just one of many locations for the school that celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2015.

Howard School

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

Old West Side School

The 2nd photo is labeled 'Old West Side School'.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

The Olgiati Bridge

Bridge dedication November 20th, 1959. City officials, including the namesake mayor are on the stage, ready to release the first cars.

Bridge dedication

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation

Daring engineer

A daring engineer poses on a steel beam during a more light-hearted pre-OSHA time period.

Click to View
Perry Mayo Donation